Here are a few questions that can get to the core of your SaaS CMO interview fast.
24 Questions to ask during a customer testimonial interview
These are some "proven" Interview Questions to use for your Case Study/Testimonial interviews. This approach will help solicit quotes, insights, and input for your messaging framework. I typically set aside about 45 minutes for these, and use Zoom to record the conversation, so I can focus on the dialogue vs. taking notes.
If you're not sure how to ask your customers for a testimonial, don't be afraid. You can follow the templates here so you can feel confident when reaching out and asking for their time.
Introduction of the Customer Interview
- Thank the client for making the time, and verify how much time the client has for the interview.
- Ask if this interview can be recorded so you can focus on the conversation.
- Confirm that the materials will only be used publicly after approval by the client.
- Note that some questions may feel repetitive. This is by design to get to the “gems”.
Customer Testimonial Questionnaire
- Start with some background – What makes the customer’s business unique?
- How is the company doing? Growth? # Clients?
- Who are your (the customer’s) clients?
- How long have you been working with <our solution/company>?
- What services does our company provide to you?
- How were you doing this work before using us?
- What problems were you trying to solve by engaging us?
- What other options did you explore? Who else did you consider?
- Why did you choose us?
- How did you find us? Did you search for specific words in Google?
- Who have you worked with at our company?
- What is it like working with us so far?
- Describe our team’s/our products' weekly work for you.
- How do you feel about the quality of the work that was performed?
- Have there been challenges along the way? How did we resolve them?
- What are the benefits you have realized from using our Solution/Service? (ideally something quantifiable, examples below).
- Time saved?
- Reduced costs?
- Increased revenue?
- Faster throughput?
- More profitable clients?
- Enjoy your work more?
- Helped with team productivity or morale?
- Do you have a story that illustrates the value?
- What other benefits do you expect in the future?
- What would you say to someone else who is considering our service?
- Bottom Line, what has our solution done for you?
- Is there anything that you would consider us the “Best” or “Only” at?
- What does that mean to you personally?
- What else would you like to share with us, or is there something else we can help you with?
What to do next with the Customer Interview content?
- Consider having the recording transcribed. You can use your marketing bot or a service like Temi.
- Capture Customer Experiences, Feedback, and Insights for internal use.
- Write an article for publication. Here are some examples and how to publish them.
- Collect all Quotes and input for your messaging framework in a separate spreadsheet with the source.
- Use the interview to ideate on content blog topics that your customers would find valuable.
- Create a customer case study (template below)
Download our free case study template
Turn the answers to these customer interview questions into a formal written case study using our framework.
Finally, here are a few more great best practices for getting the most out of your customer voices.