Knowing when to retire content vs. producing new content can be a challenge. If you’re on the fence, use these tips to guide your website content...
Get monthly executive SaaS marketing advice in your inbox
AI for content marketing is everywhere right now and for a good reason. We all know great content can get great results, but at what cost? Naturally, we all want an easy and affordable way to churn out great content quickly. And artificial intelligence (AI) has transformed how we produce and consume content.
But that still leaves us some burning questions: Can AI content generation tools actually boost your productivity, efficiency, and overall results? Are content writers and marketers in danger of losing their jobs to AI?
The answer is no, you shouldn’t be in danger of losing your job because AI is here to stay, and those who don't leverage it might find themselves falling behind in the ever-evolving world of content marketing.
Let’s look at some stats:
- The market for artificial intelligence (AI) is currently valued at nearly 100 billion U.S. dollars and is expected to grow twenty-fold by 2030, up to almost 2 trillion U.S. dollars. (Next Move Strategy Consulting)
- 65% of content marketers plan to use AI content generation tools. (Siege Media + Clearscope)
- B2B businesses are 24% more likely than B2C to use AI content generation tools. (Siege Media + Clearscope)
- Bloggers who use AI have reported spending around 30% less time writing a blog post (Wordtune)
- Bloggers who used AI to create a 2,000-word blog post reported it took 2.81 hours to write a blog post, compared with 4.02 hours for bloggers who did not. (Wordtune)
By leveraging AI, writers and creative content marketers can not only make their jobs easier but more efficient than ever. Now, they can streamline their content creation processes, generate personalized content at scale, and enhance the overall customer experience.
In this blog post, we'll explore how AI can transform your content creation journey and provide practical tips on maximizing its benefits.
- 5 AI uses and tools for content
- Maximizing the benefits of AI
- Examples of using AI
- AI drawbacks and limitations
- Supercharge your content creation with AI
Top 5 AI uses and tools for content
There are some key uses I’ve seen content and creative marketers use AI for. Let’s take a look at the AI content creation tools you can leverage to enhance your content production process.
1. Content idea generation
Generating fresh and engaging content ideas can be a challenge for content writers. Luckily, there are AI-powered tools that can help you build topics for your content marketing strategy. AI content tools act like a highly efficient search engine, eliminating the need to manually search Google for the information and inspiration you need. Instead, you can prompt a tool to give you creative ideas based on your specific requirements.
Tools for content idea generation: BuzzSumo, Clearscope, SparkToro, and MarketMuse are great tools that allow you to audit your own content, discover trending topics, analyze competitor content, and identify content gaps.
2. Grammar and writing assistance
Enhancing your writing skills is made easier with AI tools designed to provide real-time assistance. Say goodbye to sentence structure errors and hello to enhanced readability. These tools are your virtual writing companion, helping you refine your craft and produce high-quality content.
3. Automated content creation
If you’re looking for more than just grammar assistance in your writing, there are AI writing tools for that! As a writer, sometimes you need a starting point or something to work from so you only have to focus on making it better rather than spending time staring at a blank page and waiting for inspiration to strike. Today, you can get all your content writing done by AI simply by inputting the right prompts (we’ll get to that later). Need a new blog post outline? An entire blog draft? Email copy? Whether it’s short-form content or long-form content, an AI content generator can do it for you.
4. Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
In the vast and ever-changing digital landscape, optimizing your content for search engines is crucial. AI can provide keyword research and recommendations, analyze on-page SEO factors, and help boost your search rankings. With AI-powered optimizations, your content can soar to new heights in search engine results, reaching a wider audience and driving organic traffic.
5. Content distribution
Getting the right content in front of the right audience at the right time is a critical aspect of content marketing. By leveraging machine learning algorithms, AI platforms can optimize content delivery and match your content with relevant audience segments. This allows you to boost your content's visibility and increase engagement.
AI-powered tools for content are not limited to this list here. In fact, there are so many tools out there, and the list only continues to grow.
- Hubspot now has an AI content assistant in BETA - ready to help you with your content right in your CMS.
- LinkedIn is now introducing AI-generated copy suggestions to help you jumpstart your campaign.
While I haven’t been able to test all of the available AI tools, I primarily use the following AI tools for the entire content creation process: from content idea generation to automated content generation, grammar and writing assistance, and SEO:
- ChatGPT and Copy.ai – to generate content ideas, create outlines, do research, simplify writing, nail a brand voice, generate content for blogs, and more.
- Grammarly – to call out grammatical and style errors in my writing.
- Surfer SEO – to develop outlines for keywords and measure the effectiveness of content in relation to SERP rankings before publishing.
These tools are endlessly valuable for writers and content marketers when utilized wisely. While it's not advisable to blindly accept AI-written blog posts or content without revision or quality checks, these tools can be immensely helpful in numerous ways.
Note: At this point, no AI is producing human-quality output, and you will absolutely need to do some editing. So, to answer the question at the beginning of this article, no, writers won’t be losing their jobs to AI at any time soon.
Maximize the benefits of AI
To make the most of AI in your content creation strategy, follow these best practices:
- Identify areas where AI can add value, such as content ideation, content optimization, or content distribution.
- Choose the right AI writing tools and platforms that align with your specific needs and goals.
- Collaborate with AI as a creative partner, leveraging its capabilities while retaining human input and judgment.
- Regularly analyze and assess the performance of AI-generated content to make improvements over time.
- Stay up-to-date with advancements in AI technology to remain at the forefront of content creation innovation.
Examples of using AI
Harnessing the power of AI in content creation can be a game-changer for marketers. However, it's important to use AI tools intelligently, supplementing them with human creativity, critical review, and quality assurance. By understanding how to prompt AI tools effectively, you can unlock their full potential and streamline your content creation process.
Here are some practical applications of AI tools for content creation:
- Generating outlines or bullet points to structure your writing on specific topics.
- Conducting research by gathering relevant information and insights.
- Simplifying and condensing your writing to make it more concise and accessible.
- Writing blogs, social media posts, and other content pieces.
- Crafting catchy taglines, ad copy, and compelling email subject lines.
- Assisting in the creation of engaging nurture emails.
- Developing persuasive value propositions that resonate with your target audience.
- Crafting comprehensive FAQs and providing well-crafted answers.
Furthermore, AI tools can even assist you in writing high-quality content that aligns with your company's brand voice. By feeding the tool with existing copy and content in your desired voice and style, you can prompt it to generate new content that maintains the same tone and voice.
Nailing your prompts
The key to getting high-quality content from AI lies in the effectiveness of your prompts and how you instruct the tool to achieve the desired outcome.
For instance, consider the following prompt for website copy headers as an example:
"Create 10 punchy, confident, and friendly headers for a website page on X website. The target audience is X. They value X and want to avoid X. Our goal is to portray our capability in delivering X. Avoid mentioning the company name. Each header should consist of 6 words or less. Write in a friendly, educational tone. Model them after this example: 'Example of 1 header.'"
By providing detailed prompts and specific instructions, you can generate the high-quality content you’re looking for. You can continue refining the prompts and requesting additional suggestions until you have what you want. And even if it does need some editing, it probably saved you a considerable amount of time. Remember, the more precise and detailed your prompts, the better the results you can expect from the AI tool.
Note: While specificity is good when you know precisely what you want, remember that broadening your prompt back out can help generate a wider variety of ideas.
Drawbacks and limitations of AI
While AI content has numerous benefits and advancements in content creation and management, it's essential to consider the potential drawbacks and limitations:
- Lack of creativity: AI content may lack the human touch and creativity needed to engage with the audience emotionally.
- Limited contextual understanding: AI models struggle with grasping complex topics and nuances, resulting in inaccuracies and misinterpretations. This can affect the quality and relevance of the AI content.
- Inability to adapt: AI models excel within their training parameters but may struggle with changing situations. Real-time events or evolving trends require human judgment and adaptability.
- Loss of human connection: AI content lacks the emotional connection and empathy of human-generated content. It can lack the personal touch, unique perspectives, and subjective experiences humans bring.
- Negatively impacted search performance: Although Google isn't currently penalizing AI content, if your content is unoriginal or “spammy,” it will not perform as well. That’s why it’s so important to review and not lose the human touch. See more on Google Search and AI here and learn how to write an SEO-friendly blog post here.
- Maintenance and training costs: Implementing and maintaining AI systems for content generation can be costly, including training, data quality assurance, and continuous refinement.
- Tool options: There is a growing number of AI tools at your disposal, but how do you know which one to choose? How do you know which one best fits your needs? Which ones produce the best quality?
- Possible overreliance: If your daily AI tools experience some downtime, what is your solution? Will this ultimately hurt your overall productivity? Is there a plan for when tools may not be as accessible?
For these reasons, it's important to balance AI-driven content generation and human expertise. Essentially, you still need human writers to create personalized content – as editing and creative oversight remain essential in ensuring high-quality, contextually relevant, and ethical content.
Supercharge your content creation with AI
Embracing AI-powered content creation can supercharge your productivity, save you time, and elevate your content quality. It's important to remember that while utilizing AI tools, you should always retain your unique writing voice. It’s a best practice to review AI suggestions critically to maintain your personal style and ensure that your content still reflects your creativity and expertise.
The future of content creation is here, and AI is leading the way. By unlocking the power of AI tools for content, you can revolutionize your writing and content marketing process and achieve remarkable results.
How can AI assist in content writing?
AI can assist in content writing by providing tools for grammar and spelling checks, generating topic ideas, suggesting improvements in writing style, and even creating content. AI-powered tools analyze large amounts of data to generate insights, optimize keywords, and help create engaging and relevant content.
Can AI generate original content?
Yes, AI can generate original content. Natural Language Generation (NLG) algorithms can produce written content based on predefined parameters and data inputs. However, it's important to note that while AI can generate content, it may lack the creativity and context that human writers provide.
How can AI help with content planning?
AI can help with content planning by analyzing data and providing insights into audience behavior, trends, and preferences. It can suggest relevant topics, keywords, and content formats based on market research, competitor analysis, and user engagement data. AI can also assist in optimizing content distribution strategies.
Can AI improve content marketing strategies?
Yes, AI can improve content marketing strategies in several ways. It can help identify target audiences, personalize content recommendations, optimize SEO strategies, and analyze customer feedback to enhance content performance. AI can also automate tasks like content scheduling, social media management, and data analysis, allowing marketers to focus on strategy and creativity.
Are there AI tools for content writing and marketing available?
Yes, there are AI-powered tools available for content writing and marketing. Some popular examples include grammar and spell checkers like Grammarly, content idea generators like BuzzSumo, SEO optimization tools like SEMrush, and social media management tools like Hootsuite. These tools leverage AI capabilities to enhance content creation, distribution, and performance tracking.
How can I stay updated on AI trends in content writing and marketing?
To stay updated on AI trends in content writing and marketing, you can follow industry blogs, attend conferences and webinars, join relevant communities and forums, and subscribe to newsletters and publications focused on AI and marketing. Engaging with AI-powered tools and experimenting with new technologies can provide hands-on learning experiences.
What are the limitations of AI in content writing and marketing?
AI has certain limitations in content writing and marketing. It may struggle to generate creative and original content that resonates with human emotions. AI algorithms can also be biased, requiring human oversight to ensure fairness. Additionally, AI tools may not fully understand the context and intent behind user queries, leading to potential errors or misunderstandings.
Get monthly executive SaaS marketing advice in your inbox
With 4 years of experience in both B2B and B2C marketing, Jordan always makes an effort to become an expert in any topic she is given so she can produce high-quality content for Kalungi and our clients.